Lemon Scottish Shortbread Cookies by Ciao Chow Bambina – the perfect complement to your morning coffee or afternoon tea!
All credits to: Ciao Chow Bambina
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 powdered sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 1/2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. lemon zest
- 1 1/6 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup corn starch
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- Using an electric mixer, beat until light and well-blended: softened unsalted butter, 1/4 cup powdered sugar, granulated sugar, salt, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Next, sift over the butter mixture: 1 1/6 cups all-purpose flour and 1/3 cup corn starch.
- Gradually stir the flour into the butter mixture, then knead until well-incorporated and smooth.
- On a floured surface, using a regular rolling pin, roll out the dough into an 8×11-inch rectangle (dough should be about 1/4-inch thick). Followed by using the PastryMade embossed rolling pin, at this point, gently roll across the dough to create the design.
- Using a 2 1/2-inch round pastry cutter, cut circles in the dough. Place cookies on baking sheet. Continue the process with remaining dough.
- Bake for 45 – 50 minutes, or until shortbread is pale gold.
- Once cooled, sprinkle with powdered sugar for a slightly sweeter taste.
You can use 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, without the cornstarch substitute.